Fashion is a multibillion-dollar industry that has a significant impact on our planet and society. Unfortunately, this industry is also known for its negative impact on the environment, as well as its exploitative practices towards workers. As consumers and brands become increasingly aware of the environmental and social impact, there is a growing demand to take responsibility and prioritize sustainable and ethical practices throughout their supply chains. There has been a growing movement for change within the fashion industry, known as Fashion Revolution.
What is Fashion Revolution?
Fashion Revolution is a global movement that aims to transform the fashion industry into a more sustainable and ethical one. It was launched in 2013 in response to the Rana Plaza disaster in Bangladesh, where 1,138 garment workers lost their lives when the building they were working in collapsed. The disaster exposed the dark side of fast fashion and sparked a global conversation about the need and social responsibility to change.
Fashion Revolution's mission is to raise awareness about the social and environmental impacts of the fashion industry, promote transparency and accountability, and to advocate for systemic change. It is difficult to convince consumers when they don’t have information and Fashion Revolution works to change this by encouraging consumers to ask, "Who made my clothes?" and to demand better working conditions, fair wages, and sustainable practices from fashion brands.
Why is Fashion Revolution important?
The fashion industry is one of the most polluting industries in the world. According to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation it is estimated that the industry is responsible for 10% of global carbon emissions, and it produces massive amounts of waste and pollution. Furthermore, the workers who produce our clothes often work in unsafe and inhumane conditions, with low wages and long hours.
All clothes are handmade and these kinds of handiwork skills are extremely underrated and undervalued. Sewing, a fundamental part of garment production, has become devalued receiving the least amount of pay with a high amount of gender bias. The Fashion Revolution movement is important because it challenges the status quo and offers a vision for a better future. By promoting sustainable and ethical practices and creating awareness and advocating for change, it aims to reduce the industry's impact on the environment and to improve the lives of workers. It also encourages consumers to make more conscious and responsible choices when it comes to fashion.
How can YOU get involved?
There are many ways to get involved in the Fashion Revolution movement, whether you're a consumer, a brand, or an activist. Here are some to name just a few:
- Ask the question, "Who made my clothes?" and demand transparency from fashion brands about their supply chains and production processes. Question the material composition and origin of your garments.
- Choose to buy from sustainable and ethical fashion brands that prioritize people and the planet over profit. Small brands have the ability to make big changes and create a significant impact.
- Avoid fast-fashion and refresh your wardrobe by shopping for pre-loved clothing. Check out local clothing swaps happening in your neighbourhood - or even host one yourself!
- Participate in campaigns and events organized by Fashion Revolution, such as Fashion Revolution Week, which takes place every year in April.
- Educate yourself and others about the social and environmental impacts of the fashion industry via online resources, books and reputable social media activist pages like @slowfashion.movement and hit that share button on your own social pages.
If you are a European citizen you can sign to take part in systematic change and demand a living wage for the people who make our clothes.
Fashion Revolution is a powerful movement that challenges us to think differently about fashion and its impact on the world.
By promoting mindful design, sustainable and ethical practices, it offers a path towards a more just and equitable future. Whether you're a consumer, a brand, or an activist - if you wear clothes this movement affects you and there are many ways to be involved and to contribute to positive change.
Check out the many resources available to you provided by Fashion Revolution here!
And here is the schedule for Fashion Revolution Bremen. We're hosting the cities Kick-Off Event on April 22nd at the Tizz & Tonic Studio as well as an underwear-for-donation event downtown.